History of the Bank
Harleysville Bank, chartered by the State of Pennsylvania on February 16, 1915 is a wholly owned subsidiary of Harleysville Financial Corporation. The Bank was founded as Harleysville Building and Loan Association by local entrepreneur, Alvin Alderfer, and initially had no permanent office. The Board of Directors met monthly to report deposit balances they personally helped to gather and to use these funds to grant mortgages to homeowners. The first mortgage loan granted was in the amount of $700 on a property still used as a home at 555 N Main Street, Harleysville, PA. The first President was Dr. V.Z. Keeler and the first Corporate Secretary was Alvin C. Alderfer.
1956 — The Bank opened its first permanent office at 482 Main Street, Harleysville, PA, and the name was also changed to Harleysville Savings and Loan Association.
1971 — A new facility was built at 271 Main Street, Harleysville, PA. and the Bank's name was changed to Harleysville Savings Association.
1975 — The Bank opened its second office at 3090 Main Street, Sumneytown, PA as a result of a merger with the Sumneytown Savings and Loan Association.
1975 — Edward J. Molnar, the Corporate Secretary, was elected by the Board of Directors to serve as the fourth President of the Bank.
1977 — The Bank opened its third office at as a result of a merger with the West Norristown Building and Loan Association at 2301 West Main Street, Norristown, PA.
1977 — A fourth office was opened at 1550 Cowpath Road, Hatfield, PA.
1987 — The mutual company was converted to a stock form of ownership.
1988 — The Bank's name was changed to Harleysville Savings Bank, PaSA.
1990 — Harleysville Savings Bank added a major addition to its headquarters in Harleysville.
1991 — The corporate structure was changed to a State Savings Bank Charter and the name was changed to Harleysville Savings Bank.
2000 — The holding company, Harleysville Savings Financial Corporation, was created.
2001 — The Bank opened its fifth branch at 640 East Main Street, Lansdale, PA.
2003 — Ronald B. Geib became President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company and the Bank and Edward J. Molnar retained the title of Chairman and CEO.
2006 — The Bank opened its sixth branch office at 1889 East Ridge Pike, Royersford, PA.
2006 — The Bank opened a satellite branch with limited hours at Arbour Square in Harleysville.
2007 — Edward J. Molnar, CEO & Chairman of the Board retired after a 40-year career and remains as Chairman of the Board. Ronald B. Geib became the President and CEO.
2010 — The Bank opened its seventh branch office and first location in Bucks County with the new Souderton Branch at 741 N. County Line Road, Souderton, PA.
2011 — The Bank opened a second satellite branch with limited hours at the Peter Becker Community in Harleysville.
2014 — In September 2014, Brendan J. McGill was named President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company and Bank. Ronald B. Geib retained the position and title of Chief Executive Officer. The Bank's assets at the time were $800 million.
2017 — In January 2017, Edward J. Molnar, Chairman of the Board retired after a 50-year career. Ronald B. Geib became Chairman of the Board and retained the position and title of Chief Executive Officer.
2017 — In May 2017, the Bank updated its name to Harleysville Bank.
"To be your trusted financial partner"
Harleysville Bank's mission is to create value for our customers, team members, stockholders and community by consistently providing an exceptional community banking experience.
Trust, fairness, teamwork, customer service, honesty and integrity.